Joey Payne leads a team of consultants and account managers who serve the retirement needs of Cammack Retirement Group's clients, with a focus on public and private higher education institutions. Joey and his team strive to help plan fiduciaries and committees of higher education, not-for-profit, health care, and corporate plan sponsors through all aspects of their retirement plan due diligence process, including providing investment analysis, implementing new fund array changes, ensuring successful delivery of vendor services, and negotiating contract terms.
Experience and Education
Joey has served more than 20 years in the higher education arena. His extensive experience with retirement programs includes 403(b), 401(a), 401(k), 457(b), and deferred compensation arrangements under 415(m) and 457(f) plans. Joey has implemented new plans for start-up organizations, offered incentive retirement programs, and facilitated a major overhaul of the retiree medical benefit to lower costs and comply with GASB 45 (OPEB). Additionally, Joey spent 13 years as Chief Benefits Officer of a $4 billion defined contribution plan for a large research-intensive, land-grant institution with an academic medical center. Joey received a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the University of Kentucky and a Master of Business Administration from Eastern Kentucky University.
- Investment license: Series 65
Presentation and Publications
- "Health Benefits 101: The University of Kentucky's Effort to Improve Lives, Control Costs, and Offer a Sustainable Benefits Package" (cupa.hr journal)
- Served as adjunct faculty member and guest lecturer at the University of Kentucky
- Frequent presenter on employee benefit issues to various groups around the country
- Financial Well-Being: Blending Financial Concepts with Personal Health
- State Optional Retirement Plans (ORPs) Are No Longer Optimal For Participants
- Establishing a Proper Retirement Plan Structure at Public Universities
- Webinar: Following Best Practices of ERISA at Public Universities